top of page

Q: There are so many schools in the U.S. How do I decide which schools to apply to?

A: Research your options and define your priorities. Contact your nearest advising center and browse college search engines online. Check to see if the schools you are considering are accredited.

Q: How can I find out if an institution is accredited?

A: Search the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Post-secondary Education website to see if an institution is accredited.

Q: What’s the difference between a college and a university?

A: Colleges offer only undergraduate degrees while universities offer graduate degrees as well, but the terms are often used interchangeably.

Q: Are there age limitations to attend U.S. universities? 

A: In general, you must have completed high school and you must be at least 17 years of age.

Q: What is the academic calendar for universities in the United States?

A: The academic year usually runs from August through May with breaks for holidays. Most universities use either the semester system (two terms), the quarter system (students attend three out of four total terms), or the trimester system (three terms).

Q: What is the difference between "Undergraduate" and "Graduate" degrees?

A: Undergraduate programs follow high school and lead to an associate (two-year) degree or a bachelor (four-year) degree. Graduate programs follow a bachelor’s degree and lead to a master’s or doctoral degree.

Q: What is the difference between online studies and distance studies?

A: Essentially there is no difference.

Q: What is distance education?

A: Distance education occurs when a student and an instructor are in different places. Learning occurs by mail, telephone, internet, or by other means.

Q: How can I find out if a specialized program of study is accredited?

A: For specialized program accreditation, see “Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education,” available from American Council on Education.

Q: How can I find out which universities are rated best for a specific academic major?

A: Refer to college and university guides to find which institutions are known for excellence in different fields of study.

Q: Do students have to study a fixed set of subjects or can they individually form their major?

A: It depends: Some degree programs are highly structured. Bachelors' degrees are very flexible and sometimes allow you to create your own program.


Q: When do you declare a major?


1. Students can declare their majors by the second half of their second year. The credit requirements necessary for declaring a major and the process for the same vary according to the institution the student is enrolled in.

2. The major that was indicated on the application by the student at the time of application is not considered the student's official major.  It is important to follow the steps outlined by the institution the student is enrolled in to officially declare or be accepted into a major. 

3. Students who are planning to pursue a major entirely different from the one indicated on their application for admissions should notify the academic records office or their designated academic adviser at the institution they are enrolled in to make necessary updates.

4. Students should be aware of majors that are categorized as "Impacted Majors" - these are programs that receive fully eligible undergraduate applications more than the space available to accommodate students for the program. As many eligible students compete for a few available spots, students changing into an Impacted program, in general, may face stiff competition or find it almost impossible to get in. If a student is interested to declare a change of major into an impacted program, then it is important to follow the guidelines and eligibility criteria at the institution.

5. Note, the majors categorized as impacted vary from institution to institution and it is important for students to refer to the list of impacted majors at their institution. Furthermore, the eligibility criteria and other requirements or approvals will differ according to the program. Therefore, it is important for students to consult their designated academic advisers at the institution they are enrolled in to know more about the process.


Q: What is a liberal arts college?

A: A liberal arts college offers courses in humanities, languages, math, social and natural sciences, and students take 25-50% of their courses in their major.


Q: What are the benefits of a liberal arts education?

A: A liberal arts college offers a smaller setting and teaches critical thinking and communication skills necessary in an ever-changing job market.


Q: What is the credit system in U.S. universities?

A: A credit is a value assigned to each course which reflects the number of hours the class will meet with the professor each week.


Q: What is a GPA?

A: Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student's academic performance, calculated on a scale of 4.0.


Q: What is the U.S. grading system?

A: Letter grades indicate a student's academic performance. Each letter grade has a numeric value which is used to calculate a GPA, on a scale of 4.0.


Q: How are grades determined in U.S. universities?

A: Grades are typically determined by quizzes, midterms, final exams, papers, projects, class attendance, and class participation.


Q: What is the difference between state and private universities?

A: State universities are funded by the state and are generally larger and less expensive than private universities, with no qualitative difference between state and private universities.



Q: What are the different types of  graduate degrees?

A: Masters: two-year degree providing additional specialization. Doctorate: five to eight-year program certifying the student as a trained research scholar and/or professor.

Q: Is it possible to take a professional degree program without first earning a bachelor's degree?

A: Yes, but they are highly selective and require a heavy courseload across a total of six years of study.

Q: What is the length of study for MBA programs in the U.S.?

A: MBA programs typically last one to two years.

Q: Is distance learning available at the graduate level?

A: Yes. To find accredited online distance learning programs, please search the Distance Education Accrediting Commission website.

Q: What are the different types of undergraduate degrees?

A: Associate: a two-year program that either leads to a specific vocation or transitions to a bachelor program. Bachelor: a four or five-year program where students earn credits in a wide variety of courses.

Q: Is it possible to obtain a bachelor's degree and a master's degree at the same time?

A: In a joint-degree program, students begin a graduate program in their fourth year of college, earning both degrees upon graduation.

Q: What is a community college?

A: Community colleges are typically state-supported and provide the first two years of a four-year undergraduate degree.

Q: Why should I attend community college?

A: Community colleges offer lower costs, easier admission policies, close ties to state schools and many of the required courses connected to a degree.

Q: How do you transfer from a community college to a four-year university? 

A: The transfer process varies for each school. It is best to target the four-year institution early and determine what is needed to transfer.


Q: Can you work while studying in the United States?

A: With permission from the International Student Office, international students may work on campus up to 20 hours/week in their first year and can apply to work off-campus in subsequent years.

Q: Can I transfer to a U.S. university from a university outside of the United States?

A: Yes, although you may lose some credits and require extra time to complete your degree.


Q: What is the transfer application process?

A: You must fulfil the requirements of a freshman applicant, as well as any supplemental information required by the transfer institution.


Q: What are English language proficiency requirements?

A: U.S. universities require an English language proficiency test before admission to ensure you can read, write, and speak fluently.


Q: I want to study in the United States, but my English proficiency isn’t good enough yet. What can I do?

A: There are a number of programs for English language to study in the United States and online, as well as local possibilities.

Q: Are there opportunities for university exchange programs?

A: Contact the office responsible for international programs at your institution to ask if your school has exchange agreements with U.S. universities.


Q: How can an international student find out what academic subjects from their country are acceptable for a U.S. university?

A: Each U.S. university will want to review an international student's subjects and may ask the student to contact a credential evaluation agency.


Q: How can I apply for vocational training in the United States? 

A: U.S. institutions cannot issue I-20 forms for non-degree study, including vocational training. Community colleges offer technical/vocational study for an associate's degree.


Q: What’s the best general advice for an incoming student?

A: Attend your nearest advising center's predeparture orientation. Then, when you arrive on campus, attend all orientation meetings scheduled at your college or university.


bottom of page